Cathy Lewis Named Gund Foundation Trustee
Cathy M. Lewis, who has played a leadership role with many Cleveland organizations, has been named to the George Gund Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
Lewis was a member of the Citizens’ Committee on AIDS/HIV that devised Cleveland’s strategy for AIDS prevention, education and service delivery and is chair of its successor organization, the AIDS Funding Collaborative. She also currently serves on the advisory committee for the Center for International Child Health at Case Western Reserve University and the board of the Institute for Research on Unlimited Love.
She previously was chairperson of the Cleveland Foundation board of directors, president of Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital and vice chair of the Baldwin-Wallace College board of trustees. She also was for many years a minority owner of RESOURCE CAREERS, an international company specializing in spouse employment services for dual-career families.
Lewis, a Smith College graduate, has received the Creative Philanthropy Award from the Women’s Community Foundation, the YWCA’s Career Women of Achievement Award and the March of Dimes Franklin Delano Roosevelt Award for Community Service.
The George Gund Foundation, the largest private foundation in Ohio, was established in 1952 by George Gund, former chairman of the Cleveland Trust Company. The Foundation funds programs that enhance our understanding of the physical and social environment in which we live and increase our ability to cope with its changing requirements. Grants are made quarterly in the areas of education, human services, economic and community development, environment and arts. Foundation commitments to date have totaled more than $440 million.